Monday, March 10, 2014

Welcome to Horse Ownership and Here's Your Vet Bill


The first few weeks after adopting Queenie seemed like a flurry of spending—saddle, bridle, blankets, grooming equipment, etc., etc., etc.   My friend Phoebe and I ran from one vendor booth to the next at the Maryland Horse Expo scooping up necessities and the occasional “you don’t really need it but…” item.  

I knew that a trailer was on my “someday” list but when I stopped by the Blue Ridge Trailer Sales exhibit at the Expo and saw a new trailer for below what I had set as my budget, I signed on the dotted line.   A week or so later, I found just the right truck to pull it—a huge (used) Dodge Ram pickup.  

Whew!   I’ve got everything I need so I’m ready to start riding the trails, near and far.  

But within a few days of moving Queenie to the boarding barn, I got my first introduction to those surprise vet bills that all horse owners know and dread.  Queenie came in from the field one evening with a swollen, watery eye.  I called the vet for an emergency visit (my introduction to the “barn call” fee).   As the vet examined Queenie, I started hearing the sound of a cash register and seeing dollar signs!

Queenie had apparently scratched her eye on a fence and had a corneal abrasion.  The vet prescribed eye drops and two follow-up visits.  Cha-ching.  Total cost = $500 and a few days of stall rest.  

Okay, now let the fun begin. 

Not so fast.  As soon as her right eye was healed, Queenie came in from the field with her left eye swollen and watery.  Another emergency vet visit, more drops, and you guessed it, another $500.  I was starting to get a cramp in my hand from writing checks.

Our best guess was that Queenie was allergic to something in the field that was making her eyes itchy.  

Not wanting either Queenie or my wallet to suffer any more, I started Googling.   I needed something that would offer protection from allergens and yet was comfortable for Queenie to wear.  After all, if she was annoyed by something around her face, she would be even more likely to scratch against the fence.   The eye protection would also need to hold up to horse high jinks.  Halter tag seemed to be a favorite game among several of the horses in Queenie’s field.  

I searched websites but none seemed to have quite what I wanted.  And that’s when I found Big Dee’s Tack and Vet Supplies.  Big Dee’s carries tack for thoroughbred and harness racing.  
This nylon hood fit securely


Bingo!!  They had a nylon hood that would fit securely around Queenie’s face and secure with Velcro.  Big Dee’s also carries hard plastic goggles in clear and colors (I got clear) that Queenie would be able to see through but that would be impervious to pollen or other allergens.  

I ordered both.  I had to remove the half cups that came with the hood and sew on the goggles.  I put my creation on Queenie and discovered something very important about my girl.  She is incredibly patient.  I could almost hear her sigh and say, “Okay, Mom.  If you want me to wear this ridiculous outfit, I’ll do it for you.”  

I admit that I worried that when this goggle-eyed creature walked out to the field with the other horses, they would either run in terror or attack.  After all, your average horse can be scared of a rock, piece of paper, or a shadow at any given point in time.  Luckily, her field buddies just gave her a “gee, what happened to you?” look and went on grazing.  


Queenie dutifully wore her unique mask and consumed 20 antihistamine tablets daily in her feed.  

When an article by John Kelley appeared in the Washington Post describing his problems with spring allergies, I wrote and said, “You think you’ve got it bad.  Look at my poor horse.”   

Queenie and her goggles were featured in the following short article in the April 24, 2012 issue of the Washington Post

 ----------------------------------------------------------
 Sad is the life of the goggle-clad, corneally abraded,  pollen-allegic equine, such as poor Queenie here of Silver Spring, who kept rubbing her itchy eyes on fence posts. Hopefully she feels a bit better after the recent rains.
 
Glasses half full

John Kelley
Washington Post, April 24, 2012
 
I take some small credit for the recent rain, which came on the heels of my column about itchy, pollen-afflicted eyes. Just like washing one’s car (as I also did last week), writing about pollen is sure to bring a pollen-cleansing shower. 

Many readers sent me suggestions for dealing with spring allergies, from eyedrops to drugs to ice-cold washcloths. 

Silver Spring’s Kathy L. said it isn’t only humans who suffer this time of year.
“My horse has sustained two corneal abrasions after rubbing her itchy eyes on a fence,” she wrote. 

Kathy attached a photo of her solution. In addition to taking 20 antihistamine tablets daily, her horse, Queenie, wears goggles 24-7. They make her look like a fly. (A horsefly?)

By the way, Queenie came to Kathy after a career as an arabber’s horse. Those are the peddlers who sell produce on the streets of Baltimore from horse-drawn carts.


-------------------------------------------------------------

With some trepidation, I gave Queenie a break from her masked “Superhorse” look after two months.  Whatever had caused the problem seemed to be gone or Queenie had acclimated because she never had another allergic episode.  

I personally think the eye-scratching episodes were Queenie’s way of saying, “This isn’t going to be cheap, Mom.  Are you going to stick with me?”   Absolutely.  

And as you will learn in future posts, Queenie’s eye issues were the least of the problems (and the bills) we’ve faced. 

2 comments:

  1. I love that goggle eye pic! You took such great care of her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhh Queenie. You're so lucky to have the mother you do...and the best Halloween costume EVER.

    ReplyDelete