Thursday, March 6, 2014

Let the Blogging Begin!



I honestly never gave much (okay, any) thought to writing a blog.  I’m a freelance writer and editor. Why would I want to write in my spare time (what little there is)?  

But then I began reading my friend and riding buddy’s blog, Waiting for the Jump.  I realized that Saiph’s blog was pretty much a diary of so many things about owning her horse—fun rides, training for an endurance ride, health issues, etc.   I’ve learned so much since adopting Queenie that I wish I had kept notes.  

The more I talked with Saiph about her blog, I also realized that the equine blogging community is incredibly supportive of each other.  Mention that your horse has a sore back, and you immediately get feedback, information, and best wishes for a speedy recovery from fellow bloggers.   Saiph has blogging friends all over the country who have shared their experiences in endurance riding while she trains for her first event in April.  She’s received invaluable advice about everything from the best saddlebags to use to what she should eat during the upcoming 50-mile ride.  

Riding the Manassas Battlefield trail



What finally convinced me to start blogging?  Saiph and Gail (The Journey to 100 Miles) became “friends who have never met” through their blogs.  A few weeks ago, Saiph arranged to meet Gail at the Manassas Battlefield Park.  Queenie and I went along.  While Saiph and Gail did a faster, longer ride, I rode with Gail’s friend who had a wonderful Irish Draft cross.  It was such an enjoyable ride and again, I realized the power of blogs to connect people who might ordinarily never meet.  

So I am beginning my blogging journey today.  In future posts, I’ll recount Queenie’s and my riding adventures and I’ll look back on some of the joys and difficulties we’ve encountered over the past two years.  

Who knows, now that I've made yet another foray into social media, I might go really crazy and try that Twitter thing.  


4 comments:

  1. Loved this, Kathy! Welcome to blogging!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome! Found your new blog through Saiph. Looking forward to reading your stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to blogging!! :) I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete