Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Let's All Do the Furminator!

No, the Furminator is not a new dance step.  It is simply the most amazing tool ever for removing a horse's winter coat.   

I had seen the Furminator at pet stores but the $55 price tag caused sticker shock!  I bought a similar tool (I call it the Fauxminator) but it did not work very well.  We were discussing the Furminator at the barn one day and I decided to Google to see if I could find a lower price.  There it was--the large tool for short-haired animals for just $25.  Sold!!!




When the package arrived, I tore it open and raced to Queenie's stall to put the Furminator to the test.  After10 minutes, I had removed the equivalent of a small cat from Queenie. I have to admit that it is amazingly satisfying to groom Queenie and watch the pile of winter coat grow. 



I've since learned that there is an equine Furminator.  Here's a video demonstrating its use.



And the bonus is the hair removed with the Furminator comes out in these really cool shapes.



This video from Duncraft's Wild Bird Blog demonstrates how much birds love animal hair for building their nests. The titmouse is getting hair for his nest directly from the source.  Be sure to put the hair you groom from your horse outside so the birds can "feather their nests."











1 comment:

  1. Love the shapes of the fur pulled out by the Furminator. They look like fuzzy centipedes!

    ReplyDelete